Monday, January 30, 2012

Soundtrack Review: Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles

Rating: 10/10


Moving out of the survival horror genre for a minute, I'd now like to talk about what is probably my absolute favorite video game soundtrack of all time: Final Fantasy - Crystal Chronicles.

If anyone ever tells me that video games aren't art, or don't have any merit, I think that all I'll do is play this CD and ask them "How can something with this in it not be art?"

It's impossible to describe the soundtrack if you've never heard it. It's a shining example of what can be done with folk instruments and a tiny orchestra. 90% of the songs use only folk instruments or unique ones to create a truly distinctive soundscape. Woodwinds are at the forefront. Shakers and tribal-style percussion sets an either relaxing or energizing background. Each song is unique and wonderful, setting a perfect mood for wherever you are at the time.

And the thing is, all the songs are amazing. Not just a few. They're all mind-blowingly creative and lovely, showing what a little creativity and a lot of inspiration can do. Remember, I mentioned that what makes a great soundtrack to me is one that you would listen to anywhere, not just in the context of the game itself. Well, I would listen to the Crystal Chronicles soundtrack everywhere. Most "normal" music isn't this incredible.

I don't even think I can pick a favorite song. If forced to, I'd probably say it's a tie between the ridiculously catchy Moschet Manor theme (I literally would stand for twenty minutes in this level, just to hear this song. I went back there whenever I could), and the genuinely disturbing Mag Mell. But really, every song was equally wonderful, and whatever I thought of the game itself, Crystal Chronicles without a shred of doubt had the best soundtrack of the Final Fantasy series. As well as, in my opinion, video games in general.

10/10, no second thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment