Thursday, April 21, 2011

Who Am I? What Is This? Why Am I Writing This?

Who am I?


Well, as said in the subtitle, I am a vegetarian, agnostic, bipolar, queer, female (and feminist), young Goth with some serious problems with nearsightedness. (And I do mean serious - if I was to take off my glasses I could barely tell that this is a computer screen in front of me.)

I'm the author of the blog Notes Of A Pseudo-Amateur Linguist. That blog is my more "professional" side, and more my essay-style writing. I will post some essays here as well, but mostly things that are shorter. Which brings me to...

What is this?


This blog serves two purposes:

1.To write about the problems that people who are in the "groups" I'm a member of face. I'll be focusing on ageism, sexism, anti-vegetarianism, anti-agnosticism (and anti-atheism), misconceptions and prejudice toward the Goth community, and ableism and discrimination towards non-neurotypicality. I will taking many things out of my own experience, as well as the experiences of my friends. This is the "bad" in the world.

2.To celebrate the bizarre mix of culture that is available to me as a Goth! This ranges from my own reviews of Gothic music, movies, theatre, literature, to essays about these things, to simply talking about what it means to others to be Goth. This is the "good" in the world.

So, this blog will sometimes seem like it's unsure of whether it should be formal or informal. That's okay, because I don't want it to be either - I want The Darker Side Of The Light to be a casual, welcoming place where serious issues are also occasionally addressed.
Note that this is much more focused on personal interests than my other blog. We may not share the same tastes. That's fine! But hey - nothin' ventured, nothin' *booed off stage before I can finish the cliché*

Why Am I Writing This?


For the "bad" in the world: I'm sick. I'm sick and tired of getting ignorant remarks all round, from being mistreated, from seeing the absolute idiocy that people are capable of possessing when it comes to the "not being a bigoted jerkass" aspect of life.

For the "good": At the same time, I want more happiness! These are things that make me happy, and I want to share them.

So, if there are any questions, feel free to ask!

No comments:

Post a Comment